Monday, May 20, 2013

Adding a Slide-out Pantry

Added a full extension slide-out pantry to one of the lower cabinets located below the microwave. The cabinets here are placed so low to the floor that sometimes it's a pain in the back to get stuff out. I decided to add just one slide-out pantry for now. The slide-out draw is made using 1/2 inch birch plywood with simple butt joints. It is then sanded, stained, and added 3 coats of wipe-on polyurethane matte finish with light sanding in between coats. Also added 1/2 inch, 1/20 in. thick aluminum angle bar for accent (see pictures below). I used an 18-inch long full extension slides with soft-close feature that were purchased from our local hardware store. The outer extension slides were riveted to (6) zinc plated corner braces (3 on each side) which are then secured to the floor using wood screws. The cabinet door hinges were removed, and then it is mounted in front of the slide-out using 4 wood screws.

Update: The self closing mechanism of the slider is not enough to hold the pantry shelve from inadvertently opening while driving especially if filled with heavy items. I decided to reinstall the plastic push latch on the door panel, which is my original plan after all.

With slide-out fully extended.

 Plastic push latch in place.

 Corner L-brackets holding the sliders in place.

Slide-out closed.
 

Half closed.

Fully extended, side view.
Fully extended, front view.
 Thanks for looking.

7 comments:

  1. excellent job. I like in particular your idea, fastening the rails to the floor via angles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You seem to be able to do many things. What I would like to know is...Is this something an amature could do? I love the idea of the sliding drawer. I have an SS Agile.
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, thanks for the comment. Is there anything in particular you wanted to do or upgrade in your Agile? Maybe I can help you with ideas or point you out to some great online resources.

      I also started as an amateur; I learned how to do stuff myself by reading, watching online videos, and mostly just by trial and error. My thinking is, if someone could do it, there is no reason for me not to do it too, it might not look pretty at first try but eventually it will, with practice. I’m no engineer, nor a mechanic or a carpenter; just eager to learn how to do stuff myself. My wife even questions my manliness as I also do her hair color (with highlights), nail manicure/pedicure, and sewing repairs at home…lol.

      Delete
  3. does anyone know where i can buy the brackets that allow the side windows to open. these are about 4 inches long and are glued to the windows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi,
      Your best bet would be a Roadtrek dealer, they should be able to order that part for you.

      Delete
  4. I love this idea. Could you make one big drawer on the bottom thus using every inch. it means eliminating the center post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you could actually do that as the center post does not look like it's load bearing. You might need a heavy duty slides as it will be heavy when fully loaded.

      Delete

Unfortunately due to high levels of spam, all comments are now moderated before they are posted. Thank you.